Friday, September 03, 2010

the return to Blue Mountain


Each summer Grace and I make a list of possible things to do during our summer week. Usually the basics of shopping, sleepovers , golf, etc...with a local "adventure" mixed in. It started with the butterfly conservatory a few years back and last year we had an excellent day in Letchworth....well there has been an idea of hiking and this year I pushed at the climb a mountain thing...I read a blog and some stuff about Blue Mountain in the Adirondacks.
I was here in boyscouts in 1979? after a 50+ mile canoe trek. We talked about climbing but we never did(confirmed by EB)....it stuck...we had to return to Blue Mountain...this time to climb.
I read some stuff that said part of the climb was hard but well marked...I said sure no problem....so we went for it. We arrived at 10am with the lure of a 4 hour round trip and lunch at the summit. 3400 foot summit with a meager 1700 foot accent.
So we go...here' s pics from the trail...













great day for a climb...only 85 on the hill but sticky in the woods....tough climb...for me anyway...thankfully Grace had no problems and powered up this bad boy...she mentally dragged me along. My legs just died on me...I was lucky to make it really. I was able to control arthritis and sugars and other issues....so lucky.
Thanks for a great trip Gracie. Please note the LLBean garb for Grace....sorry hun, Converse are nice but you need some hiking shoes for a mountain.
Then ....finally after two families w/ younger kids passed us (and three dogs)...





















We took 4.5 hours....to get to the top somehow....had a quick lunch...chatted w/ the families ...enjoyed the incredible breeze and of course took the great shots from the fire watch tower...the 360 view from the tower has to be one of the Adirondacks best.
So we got down pretty good...about 2.5 hours...Grace was a little slow coming down...long legs are helpul on the way down...the AC'd car was a most welcome sight....long ride home. Grace was asleep before we left the village...what a trooper....7 hours putting up with me...but the hardest I have worked in many years and now as the soarness sets in (post climb -day 2) we have some great memories and funny stories to tell in the future "one time" moments. We called some of the siblings as is now the tradition at summits. I also called EB and JB...opened a beer at the summit with JB on phome saluting our climbs from 20 years ago.
I should remember to really warm up for this next time....will I never learn...
Hopefully the learning in this case is there is time to do everything on the list.
Note to siblings...this is a great climb for the kids...Anna would chew this up...the runners would jog it....and BTW...the gauntlet is thrown....even though I don't know if I would do it with you.

Will you return to Blue Mountain?





3 comments:

Bird said...

SWEET! Great story, James P! Love the pics, wish we had made it top side all those years ago. If I remember right, weather was an issue and we were time pressed. But that Adirondack trip really sticks with me too. I remember an Osprey diving out of the sky and nabbing this giant fish from the water pretty close to our canoe. Open mouthed we watched as it struggled to get up and out of the water and then fly away. Spectacular!

Have been doing more serious hikes as Carys gets bigger, almost 7 now (Oct 22). Our trip to Sacandaga Lake this summer was great. We should do a trip together next year.

I especially love this picture, the smile says it all:

SMILE and say grace!

jimmy said...

Yeah I made Grace hold on that shot so I could get the AF off...the light, the wind...worth the extra effort...Grace is well trained at the hold pose now...

I remember that osprey and told Grace the story on the way up....4th lake? The worst of the lakes...8 miles into a 20mph head wind in the aluminum battleships...ugh.

Good thing we did that when we were young.

I have been reading about the 46 high peaks...and how some you need to hike into for an overnight....beyond me now I think.

Good to get back... I think Grace enjoyed...so maybe another small hill next summer... I guess white face has a drive and then 500' hike to top....also got 2 new bird books and started Graces list...I think I need to restart mine...

Bird said...

For bird books, Sibley's Guide is tops. The many pictures of a single species really help, how can you tell from one image in other books? "This is what the bird always looks like..."

I'm hoping my legs are up to some good climbs with the kids. I walk 1.8 miles to the bus a few mornings each week, and building this house has forced me to get stronger. My worry is my left knee that flares up occasionally. I had to get a steroid shot last time it hurt so damn much!