Saturday, February 23, 2008

a non-Grace related post


I thought it would be novel to post something not about Grace or the rest of yous for a change...


Heaven in Box


It's saturday night. I needed some grub and I had a taste for that wny delicacy known as "wings". Wings, not buffalo wings or buffalo style wings. In WNY we call them wings. So I called the high end local based pizza place...they have very good quality chicken wings. Probably free range really happy chickens that worked out...


The wings you get from chinese restaurants are an example of bad wings...gray meat ...kinda of chewy and crunchy...baaad wings man.



The best wings are in Buffalo of course and then Rochester. There are a few chains that make them well but not many. Papa Johns for example are baked and have some kinda of mystery sauce...stay away.


The local place, Guidas, has real nice quality. The wings are medium sized and nice and white in the middle. Meaty. No stray dogs or giant mutants. They are cooked medium to well and usually I can get crispy if I ask. The sauce is not true buffalo. It's a mumbo sauce as we used to call it in college. Most places outside of buffalo make mumbo style wings. Thats a mix of butter, franks red hot sauce and something else like barbecue sauce. True buffalo is butter and franks for mild, More franks for medium and a big splash of tabasco over the butter and franks for hot.


The wings tonight were a little mumbo but nicely done. Just a little sweet and still spicey hot from the franks.


If I want straight buffao wings I can go to some other places but the quality at Guidas is better. Pricey at 75 cents a piece. But I think worth it.


Grace and I get an order maybe once or twice a month...usually to snack on...not usually as a meal.


If you don't live in WNY you miss out on this delicacy.


WIIIIIIINNNGGGSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: